Thursday, December 4, 2008

Good Ministry

Now before I get started I would like to state that we've had a lot of good ministry here, and I've really been enjoying it; but every so often I hear a sermon where something is presented in a little bit different way and it helps me to look at things differently. Tonight was one of those times.

Bro. Dennis started his talk about how when he was 14 or 15 he liked a girl and really thought he loved her. He thought he knew what love was. Looking back now he can see how it was more of an obsession than anything. He said when he married his wife he thought he loved her too; and I'm sure he did, but he explained how after 20 years of marriage he knows her so much better that the love he felt back when they were first married seems insignificant compared to what he feels for her now. He explained how the reason he loves her so much deeply is because he's gotten to know her. He knows how and why she feels and thinks the way she does. He knows her well enough that he can know how she feels or thinks about something without her even telling him. He understands her so much better and it has caused him to love her so much more.

He then compared this to how we should search out to know and understand the Lord; so that we can love him and be so much closer to him. He explained how instead of just following the commandments of God, we should try to understand why he wants us to follow those commandments. In finding the reason behind the commandments we can get to know God better and understand him better. If we understand him better and grow to love him more we will then have a better relationship with him. We will have more of a desire to serve him rather than just going through the motions because that's what we're supposed to do.

Now there were a couple of reasons this talk had such an effect on me. First of all I had never quite thought of things that way; about how we should try to understand God and then learn to love him more, and then have more of a desire to please him. I, of course, knew that we should understand the will of God, that we should love him and desire to please him, but I had never had it all connected like that for me before.

The other reason this talk really got me to thinking is because it allowed me to see how to work on my relationship with my husband. Now this is a little hard for me to admit, but I've realized for awhile that our relationship just isn't quite what it ought to be. It's not real bad, but I know that we aren't as close as we should be. The one problem I've had is respecting him sometimes. To be perfectly honest there are times that the way he feels, thinks or does things I just think is really stupid! I've had a hard time respecting him with these things. Bro. Dennis' talk helped me realize that if I strove to understand why he feels, thinks and does the things he does my relationship with him will be better. When I look back on some of the things he's done, or said, or whatever, that I just really didn't agree with, I can see where his reason behind it was good; but because he's imperfect he sometimes comes up with imperfect feelings, thoughts or actions. I really, really want to strive to get to know my husband and my God both better; so that I can have a stronger relationship with both.

I would also like to explain that I really do love Matt, and he is a good husband and father. He cares about his family, and he takes good care of us. He loves the brethren and has always been steadfast in the faith. There is so much good in him that I know it out-weighs the bad. Those of you who are married I'm sure can relate to how we can love our husbands so much, but still get so irritated at them sometimes! I really want to try to be more understanding of why he's does what he does during those times that he irritates me.

As some of you know, I have my cousin, Kara, staying with us. She's been helping me quite a bit around the house and with the kids. This pregnancy it seems like I've had a harder time being able to do everything and she's been a good help to me. She just turned 2o and she's not in the faith. Every once in awhile we'll get into some pretty in depth conversations about problems or concerns that she may have, or about the faith. Just the other day we had a really long conversation and I was able to talk to her pretty frankly about some things. What was really neat is that Bro. Dennis brought up a lot of the things we had talked about in his ministry tonight. I noticed some of the things he said, and how it was so close to the conversation I had had with her. After church Kara mentioned the same thing. It was so great that God was able to confirm our conversation in that way. I think it really helped her to hear someone else say the same things I had said and not even know about her life like I do.

Bro. Lee also got up and talked about how if he saw a rich man with a lot of land and he had servants to work that land he would think a lot of that man. But he also said that if he saw the workers just sitting around doing nothing he would wonder how in the world that man got rich. He said his advice to that man would be to get different workers that wouldn't waste his time and money. I know that I have been to idle in the faith, and I sure don't want God to give up on me and grant someone else my place in his kingdom.

He also explained about striving for perfection. He compared it to when he has workers working for him in his tile business. When he tells them to do a job that he knows they are capable of doing, he expects them to do it. If he comes back and it's not done, or done right, and he explains to them their mistakes; he expects them to correct their mistakes. He said it doesn't really matter to him the process they use to get the job done as long as the finished product is done according to his specifications. To him that his perfection. I know we always think of perfection as everything done exactly right, but God knows and understands us. If we make mistakes he just expects us to correct them. Basically as long as we are truly striving to please him and doing all we know to do, and doing what we can to fix or learn from our mistakes, that is perfection.

There really wasn't a whole lot done in meeting, but I really got a lot out of it and came home with a lot to chew on. Hopefully I swallow it and digest it and allow it to really improve my life.

I wasa going to wait until tomorrow to post this, but I couldn't go to sleep anyway because it was all going over and over in my mind; so I thought I would relate it all to my blogging buddies while it was still fresh in my mind. Just pray that I will follow the exortation I recieved tonight.

7 comments:

Kim said...

We here in Idaho heard some of the same on Wednesday night. We heard some about what Dennis talked about. How when we get married we love them but as time goes on we love them more because we get to know them and how that relates to our service to God. Also, as our love grows it is not just them that we love but God within them. It is always awesome when different assemblies hear close to the same thing the same day.

Sabriena said...

I'm so glad you posted about meeting last night, because although it was really wonderful, I wasn't really sure about how to start it all out in my own post, and I knew I was forgetting some things. When you posted it, you got all the points, and tied them together very well. I couldn't figure out exactly how to do that! And I had just checked my e-mail (my comments are sent to e-mail), and Sis. Michelle had told me that I better hurry and get some computer time, because Sis. JoAnn said she was going to let me post about Sunday! I had not wanted to think about that, because I didn't want to get anything confused from one meeting to another!

Anyway, I really enjoyed the ministry and the singing and everything. Lee had told us on the way over about that worldly couple getting baptized. That is so wonderful! Why weren't they at Church last night, do you know? I overheard somebody telling why, but I can't remember who it was or why it was.

That is really neat what happened with Kara. Sometimes similar things happen with me. Before Bro. Lee got up, I had been looking in my book at that song Love Lifted Me. I was still reading the last verse when he stood up. Then Bro. Dennis started it, and it ended up being the dismissal song. After Church I told him about it, and he said that he'd been looking at it when Bro. Lee got up, too. It was really neat to me.

Trina said...

Wow! Den and I just read this and it melted our hearts to see how the Lord works. Who can deny the spirit of God? It is amazing and so full of blessings and wisdom. I am also thankful that you were a good servant and wrote this post because I think God knows how good it was for Den to read. The concept that he spoke on was put in a different way, although I agree done beautifully, and because some of the things that were said embarassed me a little it made him question himself. I didnt mean to do that, but you know us wives sometimes. Anyway, he said that he felt the spirit so strong and your post confirming how the spirit works is such a comfort. I think it gave us all a new way of looking at God and we all need to get to know HIM better and to fall in love with Him daily.

Im looking forward to you and all the brethren coming out for the Christmas party tonight. I love this little church family.

Mom of 3, Aunt of 16 said...

Its really wonderful the way the Lord works. Sometimes I'm afraid that were like the children of Isreal and no matter how many signs and wonders we don't believe. The Lord often works in small ways, a still small voice. When the Lord called me it was just knowing he was calling me. There was no fireworks or overwhelming feelings. It seems that the Lord still works with me in that way, and yet I still seek that big booming voice.

Marisela said...

I love this post. I really enjoyed Dennis's ministy that night too. I know Trina was a little embarresed, but I thought it was really good

Skylene said...

We have had some meetings here lately that I have really enjoyed too. Bro. Chis B. held meetings. I'm glad you are having good meetings there. Wish I could join you sometime but you know how it is we just can't seem to get out that way very often. And last time I wanted to do a little travelling but too much sickness.However I'm not complaining because I was just thankful for Serena getting better.

Sabriena said...

I'm glad I got back on here, because it was really neat to read Sis. Trina's comment!

Anyway, I was thinking.... you're getting way closer to having that baby! How are you feeling? Big? Bulky? Off-balance? LOL. I guess that must be how you're feeling, because all the ladies I know say that they feel that way when they're expecting. So it stands to reason... LOL.

You've been kind of lazy about posting, you know. But I'm okay with you not posting until that baby is born. Then you simply HAVE to make a post right away. Or get one of the midwives or a visiting sister to write one up real quick. It'll be real exciting!