Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Diligence

diligence: persistent and hard-working effort in doing something.



Sunday morning we seemed to have a little bit of time left, and I thought it would be good if I read the children a chapter in the Bible. I just read the chapter where my bookmark was. I always neglect my Bible reading, but it always amazes me how when I do decide to pick up my Bible and read I always read just what I need to.



I know we've all heard and read this scripture many times, but I was glad to be reminded.



II Peter 1:4-11


"Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, and to virtue knowledge;

And to knowledge temperance, and to temperance patience, and to patience godliness;

And to Godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness charity.

For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.

Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:

For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ."
The word diligence is what really caught my attention. It is mentioned twice in this scripture. Lately I have known that I have not been where I should be spiritually. I believe it is this diligence that is missing. I feel like I have been barren and unfruitful. Because of this lack I can see where I haven't been able to see afar off. I haven't been able to see the big picture. I don't want to forget how empty and lost I felt before coming into the faith, and then the great thankfulness I felt when God drew me in. I want to make my calling and election sure that I could have a place in that everlasting kingdom. I want to be a partaker of this Divine nature so that I can escape the corruption that is in the world. I don't want my short sightedness because of my lack of diligence to keep me from making Heaven my home. I have not been working hard at living the faith, and I really need prayers that I could have this diligence that I know is required of me.

No comments: