Friday, July 11, 2008

Christian's t-ball and Kindergarten Graduation

Since it seems like I've been doing blogs about my different children I decided to dedicate this blog to Christian. As I was looking through my many pictures that I have yet to post about I came across the ones of of Christian's t-ball and Kindergarten graduation. I decided to put a picture of Christian on his first day of school. You guys can tell me if you think he looks older now. It seems to me he's grown a lot, but I'm not sure if you can really tell from the pictures or not. I do know that we've had to go buy him a whole new set of pants a couple of times this year because he's outgrown the ones he had. He's 6 and wears a size 8. Anyway, here he is on his first day of school (notice Anthony and Ruby with her beloved elephant).


Christian had such a nice teacher. She really did a good job. I tried to help out in the classroom fairly often; though towards the end of the year I didn't because of our move. It amazes me how a teacher can get that many children together that really don't know much and actually manage to teach them something! Christian knew the basics, like his ABC's, some letter sounds and how to write his name; and of course colors and shapes. Now he is really reading and knows all his letters sounds and can even write. At this stage they don't worry about spelling. The kids just write how they think the words sound. Anyway, I know that this is all normal Kindergarten stuff, but it still amazes me that she managed it! I can't imagine keeping a room full of almost 20 5 & 6 year olds under control, not to mention teaching them to read.

I didn't get very good pictures of his graduation, because I was kind of towards the back, and didn't want to leave my 3 other children to get a good picture, but here is one that turned out pretty good.


Here's Christian with his medal and Certificate from t-ball. He really likes his medal. I think they even had it personalized and each child has their own name on it.




Here's Christian playing outfield. This is one of the days when he forgot to bring his Mitt. There weren't very many kids that actually hit the ball this far; so Christian got pretty bored out there. I would try to remind him to pay attention so he could know what was going on. I took quite a few pictures of him messing around in the outfield.



Here he is playing catcher. It was his first time ever and I thought he did a pretty good job.
This was Christian's first year doing any kind of sport; so he really had no idea what he was doing when he started. He really showed improvement I thought. Towards the end of the season most of the time he could hit the ball coach pitch. The coach would give them 3 pitches and if they didn't hit it then they would use the t. He also started out not knowing at all how baseball was played, but he figured out the basics. They didn't score or anything so he didn't learn about outs, but I think it was a good first year. He seemed to enjoy it too, which is the main thing.
To me the whole reason to play sports is to enjoy it, learn team work and the positive interaction with your peers. I don't really like it when people take winning too seriously. I do believe you should try your best, but I know that people can get carried away. I hope that when we put our children in sports it is a positive influence in their lives. If it begins to have more of a bad affect on them, or if we get too carried away with it I hope the Lord will show us it is time to quit. Or maybe some of my fellow sisters will nicely point it out to me (hint, hint)





1 comment:

Sabriena said...

I agree with you about the sports. It is easy to get carried away and not even realize it. I believe that it should just be about having fun with your friends, learning teamwork, etc. And yet, sometimes I find my own self...

Christian is so cute! I'm sure that he had a lot of fun his first year at school. That is so nice that they put their names on the certificates. It always makes something seem more special to have your name on it.