Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Early Memories

I was laying in bed trying to take a nap with the baby (it wasn't working), and I began to think about memories I had while we lived in the little house on Kirk Ave. It's the first house I remember living in. I think I was 4 or 5 when we moved out; so I was pretty little. Anyway, I thought I would share those memories with all of you. As I was remembering these things I was picturing Christian or Ruby doing these things (I must have been around that age). It made me smile.

I remember one time while my big sisters were away at school I found some treasures! I wanted to share them with the family; so I waited for everyone to get home and then I had everybody sit down so I could show them my "treasures". I pulled out of a paper bag a chicken egg! (we had chickens, and this must have been before it was my job to collect the eggs). Anyway, I was very proud that I had went into the chicken pen and retrieved this egg. My mom had to tell me that I wasn't supposed to go into the chicken pen by myself yet. She also had to tell me that it actually wasn't an egg; it was some sort of hard vegetable that she had thrown in there for them to eat. It sure did LOOK like an egg! I also had in my bag of "treasures" a fuzzy caterpillar. Now this was a true treasure and everyone had to ooh and aah over it. I also had to tell everyone how we should get rid of our rooster because he was being mean to the other chickens. I had seen him jumping on them and pecking them! For some reason we didn't get rid of him as I had suggested!

Sara, my aunt, who is my age, was always at our house. I remember there was a neighbor boy that came over a lot too. I think he was kind of ornery. Anyway, he somehow talked Sara into picking up slugs and feeding them to the chickens. The chickens LOVED them! But, Sara had picked all these slugs up with her bare hands (for some reason there had been a lot of them). She tried and tried, but she couldn't wash the slime off of her hands, and we had pizza that night! I remember my dad especially was very mad about the situation.



I can remember my mom laying down with me to take a nap (supposedly to get me to sleep, I assume); but I can remember her going to sleep instead and me getting into things. Somehow this sounds very familiar! Now that I think of it she was probably pregnant with Crispin at the time and very tired. I was probably a handful!

I also remember Alicia sharing with us some Bubble gum that she stole from the store.

Now you know some of my weird early memories. There's a blog idea for some of you that have blogger's block! Share your memories! Maybe next time I'll share some of my more nicer memories; like the time I remember we prayed for dead baby chick who ended up living! But that is when we lived in a different house; so it doesn't belong in this blog!

2 comments:

Marisela said...

It is fun to reminisce about our childhood. The slug thing is really gross!

Cherrie said...

Ohh sweet memories. It is fun looking back and remember things. And to look at our kids and the things they do.