Sunday, September 23, 2007

Servitude

Matt and I pray together every night before we settle in for the night. This has been very good for us throughout our married life. When we know we have to pray before we go to sleep it's hard to go to bed upset at each other, or other things.

Anyway, last night as we were praying I listened to Matt. He started out "Thank-you Lord for you many blessings, please work things out with out house." Now, I'm not really pointing a finger at him because I prayed a very simular prayer; but as I was listening to him I started thinking about servitude... How we're supposed to be servants to God, not the other way around. God isn't up there to give us everything we need or want to make our life comfortable. When we were baptized we chose to be his servants to do what He wanted us to do; and in doing so our life would be better.

So many times I thank God for all he's done, and then ask for more. Yet what do I do for him? There's so many things that I really don't want to have to do for him; or that I'm uncomfortable with. I'm scared of speaking in prophesy, afraid I'll make a mistake; I'm not really comfortable reaching out to those who have strayed because usually their lifestyle is so different than mine; and I don't know how to relate to them; I don't want to give up things I enjoy doing because God might have better things for me to do. The list could go on and on. Oh, there's lots of things I'm willing to do; I'm just not willing to do anything he asks of me.

As a master God takes good care of me. He takes care of my needs. Do I really have the heart of a servant? Do I do unquestioning what God wants me to? Expecting no praise because it is just my duty as a servant. Or do I just keep asking more of God; hoping that he doesn't ask more of me?

Anyway, I had these thoughts going through my mind, and I thought I would share them. Please pray for me that I would have the heart of a servant. Because I know that if I serve God to the best of my ability my life will be so much better.

6 comments:

Marisela said...

I'm glad you decided to do a blog, and finally gave into the peer pressure he he he. I like this post it is a good reminder.

Trina said...

This is a beautiful post. I love the line " Do I ask more of God, in hopes he won't ask more of me." Wow! Good food for thought!

marykathryn said...

So I see that you have joined the blogging world too..Yeah!! Your post was so true is is a little scary...I too have to check myself to see if I am always ASKING of the Lord instead of doing for him.

Cherrie said...

God will answer those prayers in his own time. You wrote a beautiful post. We will pray for your house also surely God understands.

Barbara Reed said...

I enjoy reading your posts so much, they always make me think about things, sometimes from a different perspective(which is good at times)and sometimes because I just hadn't thought of that particular thing in a while. Anyway, I once again enjoyed the reading.

Jules said...

I think this is a great post also, it makes you think about all that a person asks of God and how much are we asking what he wantsus to do. If we're not careful, we start to act selfish. This is a really good blog, makes you stop and think about how you pray.