Thursday, November 29, 2007

Wondering

This morning I read the 11th Chapter of First Corinthians. This is the very first verse:

"Be ye followers of me,even as I also am of Christ."

This is Paul speaking to the Corinthians. I've heard and read this verse a lot of times; but this morning it hit me. Do I have the confidence to say this? Can I tell other people "watch me because I'm doing all the right things!"? In some ways you don't want to be puffed up, but it would be nice to know that you are trying your best and if other people followed your example they would be doing pretty good. I'm afraid I am all too aware of my faults and shortcomings to tell people to follow my example; but here's the scary part: There may be people (such as my children) who are following my example that may not be a completely good one. I do not want anyone to go the wrong way or do the wrong things simply because they were following my example. My motivation today is to give people a good example to follow.

Here's some more scripture in that chapter that has always mystified me. If any of you have an idea what it means I would love to know:

"For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.
For the man is not of the woman, but the woman of the man.
For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the Angels."

What I don't understand is the last verse there. I guess it's the "because of the Angels" part. Really it's one of those things that we don't really need to understand; we just need to follow what the scripture is saying; but I've always wondered what it meant.

One time I asked Sis. Cindy FlanderMeyer about it. She said she didn't really understand what it meant, but one time she was flying with Doug when he was little. I guess Doug was really being bad and disrupting the other passengers. Sis. Cindy said she said a little prayer. It went something like this: "Lord the Bible says that we have power on our heads, can I use that power somehow to calm Doug down." She said that after that Doug was good for the rest of the trip.

Anyway, if any of you have insight on this I would love to hear it.

2 comments:

meNmykids said...

I've thought about it a bit, but then set it aside. Maybe I need to study a bit? Glad you all had a great Thanksgiving, it is important for our children to know their grandparents, even if they aren't living the way we feel they ought. Glad that you got to see grandpa.

Mom of 3, Aunt of 16 said...

I guess that is one of the mysteries that we might get a glimpse of in this life but will know in full hereafter. God's ways are so much better than ours that when we get a glimpse its as if getting a glimpse of heaven itself. Maybe that has something to do with it. Maybe people would get a glimpse of heaven and angels?
Maybe the hair represents the power and glory of Glory of God and that in our honoring our husbands and God in this way people see this and God gives us power. There now I've went and confused you even more. hehehe :)