Saturday, January 19, 2008

United in Prayer

It seems like especially lately I've been hearing about a lot of people who are in need of prayers. Mostly because of some illness. A lot of times when I receive this news I at least call the brethren here to let them know to be praying. Sometimes I feel bad to be passing on this bad news all the time; but I know that if it were me I'd want as many brethren praying for me as possible.

We all have heard about how prayer can be pretty powerful. Sometimes if feels like that prayer is such a small thing and you don't really think it can make much of a difference. I have seen how prayer has real turned a situation around when it seems like it wasn't possible. We all know that prayer works.

What I'm thinking about tonight is a little bit different. I was thinking about how praying for our brethren; and knowing our brethren are praying for us brings us together somehow, closer. Like prayer connects us together with God. When we pray for our brethren we are thinking of their needs, trials etc. and it brings us away from our own problems and makes us think about others.

Tonight we went to Bro.Dennis & Sis. Trina's house. We visited for awhile and then we decided to play a game. During the game Sis. Chantel called and told us that Sis. Dawn was doing really bad and that she needed prayers. When Sis. Trina hung up we all got down together on the floor and prayed for Sis. Dawn. It was a very special moment for me. It not only helped me to think about Sis. Dawn's Trial, but it somehow made me feel closer to those I was praying with. It especially touched my heart to hear Bro. Dennis and Sis. Trina's boys pray. I really enjoyed hearing their prayers and seeing the evidence that the Faith is being handed down. One of their boys even prayed that they were thankful that we had come over that evening, and that really made me feel good.

Prayer is a very powerful and special thing; and I'm so glad that it's something that I can share freely with my brethren.

After we all prayed Bro. Dennis started putting the game away. He didn't really say anything, but I was glad he put it away. It didn't seem right somehow to go back to our game. Sis. Dawn needed our thoughts and prayers, and so we became united in prayer.

The Faith and the brethren are such a wonderful gift. All too often I take them both for granted; but it sure is nice to hear my brethren pray for me. And to know that even when I'm far away I always have the power of prayer.

3 comments:

Jules said...

It is truly a blessing to have those that we can kneel down together and pray for mercy for someone else. We really are a blessed group of people. I'm praying for Dawn also, only God knows what is best.

Trina said...

I felt the same way that night. I think praying together is a huge force for drawing people together. There is something so personal and vulnerable about it that you have to really humble yourself, and when you are with others that are willing to do that with you it is such a comfort.

Cherrie said...

That was a beautiful post. My heart has been so saddened lately. So many in need of Gods mercy's. We are leaving tonight to head out there so hopefully we will get to see you.