Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Selling Quilts

Awhile back I answered an ad on Craigslist. They were looking for people in my area who made unique, homemade baby items that they could sell on their website. To be honest I wondered if they were for real because you do have to be a little cautious, but I decided to answer the ad and see what became of it. I sent them pictures of these quilts that I make. (To give credit where credit is due, I want to thank Sis. Cindy for showing me how to make them.) They are incredible soft and easy to make. One side is soft flannel, and the other side is a soft fur material. The more boy type quilts have a triangle edging like this:

And the girl one's have a ruffle edging like this:
After a few contacts back and forth they decided to try selling my quilts on consignment, and I decided that the amount of money I would get from them would be worth it. To tell the truth it's not a whole lot, but I enjoy making the quilts and it's nice to make a little bit of extra money. By the way they do have the above star blanket for sale, but minus the pillow because that was not part of the deal.
From what I can gather a couple of moms got together and decided to start this website that exclusively sells unique, homemade baby items. I even got to meet one of the moms, and they seem like very nice people.
Anyway, I've been checking the site periodically since I signed the selling contract and they received my quilts; and finally today they had my quilts posted! They can be found under the toys and accessories section. I'm also in their featured designers section! This is kind of exciting for me! We'll see how these one's sell. If my quilts do good, then obviously they will want me to make more.
The website is: http://miminkoapparel.com/index.html I will try to figure out how to make a link to them on the sidebar of my blog.
Anyway, wish me luck on my new endeavor!

5 comments:

Beth said...

That is neat...Good Luck. Hope you sell them!!

meNmykids said...

Good luck! Those are beautiful blankets. James always wanted me to try to sell quilts, but I don't have the time and energy to make them. I'm really not a very good seamstress either. I hope you found a niche.

Trina said...

I hope that your quilts do great too! It would be a great way to bring home a little extra money. Your link is up and running, let me know if you need anything else.

Sabriena said...

That's exciting. I'm sure they'll do really well. The only reason not to is because of the economy, some people may be a little more careful and make-do than they would have been. But I think that they'll do good in spite of that!

Skylene said...

Cute quilts. Sounds like a fun way to make some money.