Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Time to Think

Matt & I are total Craigslist fanatics. Especially since Matt has been laid off he's always on there looking at the job listings. Every once in awhile we find ads for research studies. Him and I both have participated in these in the past. They usually are looking for a particular type of people to come and give their opinions on whatever it is they want an opinion on. It's an interesting way to make a little bit of extra money.

Anyway, today I went to participate in one for mothers of little babies. What I ended up doing was sitting in a room with six other mothers and looking at potential ads for Similac and giving my opinion on how appealing they were. I got paid $125 for the 2 hours I was there. Today was time well spent in more ways than one...

Matt & I decided that it would just be easier for me to take the max (public transit) to my appointment. We live within walking distance of one of the stops and the place where I was going was a straight shot. I knew I would be riding the max for about an hour there and an hour back; so I decided to take my Bible with me to read. As I was sitting on the max reading my Bible, I realized that I actually had time to just sit and think. My life is so busy that I don't really seem to have time to just commune with the Lord. Even though there were other people there I felt like I had some time for just me and my God. It was so wonderful and peaceful! I had time to actually think about what I was reading, and just have a little talk with the Lord. Thank him for my blessings and pray for guidance to stay on the right path in life. I really felt renewed.

As I watched the different people, it really made me grateful that out of all the many different people in the world God has chosen me. I do not want to waste the opportunity he has given me. There was one part of the city that I could tell homeless people "lived". There was one sidewalk just lined with sleeping bags, backpacks, etc. It made me wonder just what happened to these people to get them where they are today. Even though Matt & I may have some hard times, God has always provided us with the things that we need. It made me especially grateful for the things that we have when I saw evidence of those who truly go without.

Today was a profitable day, and it really helped me put perspective on my small trials, and gave me that little bit of encouragement I needed to keep on keeping on.

by the way.... the research study place was located in the mall and I actually managed to go there without spending any money! Hooray for me!

5 comments:

Sabriena said...

Well, that's really good. I'm really glad to see that you've posted since I was on last, too - looks like there's another post I haven't read yet, down there, too! I know that God grants us many blessings, and sometimes it's easy to take it just for that - granted! When I realize I'm doing that, I try to stop and thank Him for all the things that it doesn't look like there was danger of - it didn't look like there was danger on the roads, but how many accidents did He intervene? Thank You for the safe journey! It doesn't seem like anything happened that could mess Dad's back up, but just what scenarios did He prevent? Thank You, for protection of his back! So on and so forth. So I did notice something, though. Didn't you say an hour there and an hour back? That takes up two hours. If you spent two hours there, then you actually got paid $125 for 4 hours of your time! You are still correct, having said you were paid for the two hours that you were there, rather than the two hours of your time. But I (not always, but usually) notice that type of thing, and like to comment on it. I'm praying for your family. I hope I get to see you at Church tonight.

Marisela said...

It is always nice to get away and take some time for yourself. I'm glad you were able to enjoy your day.

meNmykids said...

What a lovely day! I agree that we should thank God for the things he has sheltered us from. What a blessing to be called out of this world into a new kingdom!

Skylene said...

Wow that sounds like an interesting thing to do. Glad you had a little peaceful time. I'm glad things are still working out for you with Matt being laid off.

Tish said...

Neena:

I actually had thought about that too. Technically it took about 5 hours of my time, because I got there early, plus walking time etc., $25 an hour is pretty good, especially considering how nice it was for me. It's been little things like this that have kept us going with Matt being laid off. God is good to us.