Friday, March 14, 2008

The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly

I've had some bad news to share with everyone for a week now, but I just haven't gotten around to posting it yet. Now I have some good news to go with it; so it seems like its time to tell all of you.

Last Friday Matt got laid off. The construction business is really slowing down right now; plus I know that being in the laborers union a lay off should be expected and prepared for towards the end of each job. We are a little bit prepared. We have some money in our saving account left from our tax return. It really won't last us very long if he's laid off for very long. He applied for unemployment, but that's now even enough to pay our bills each month. So he's been looking for people that need little odd jobs done to make a little extra cash until his next job comes up and he can start working again. So here comes the good news...

Yesterday he went to help a guy with a move. I guess this guy helps people move fairly often, and it sounds like he'll have Matt help him when he needs to. Also the people that were moving have some things they want to pay Matt to help them do; so once again God is taking care of our needs. I don't know why I feel so amazed. Last night I asked Matt why God was so good to us. I really don't know why he is, but I'm sure glad we have him watching out for us and taking care of our needs. The downside of Matt finding that job to do yesterday is he didn't end up being done in time for church; that's when things got ugly...

I took the kids to church myself. I was going to go into all the details, but I'll just make a long drawn out story short. The kids were worse than normal without their dad there. At first they weren't too bad, and Sis. LeAnne did what she could to help (I really appreciate her help), but after so many fits and having to take multiple children out. The final straw was towards the end of meeting was when Garrison wouldn't stop throwing fits (he was probably getting tired) and Anthony wasn't minding me and decided our church bench was a jungle gym. I decided that everyone would probably get more out of meeting if I took my kids home. So I left.

It really made me appreciate my husband. It is amazing how much difference he makes. I've decided he has to live a long life because I don't think I would survive as a single mother!

As I was driving home I was reminded of a sister who used to live in Brownsville who had 4 very rowdy boys and for years she took those boys to church by herself. I remember that they were very hard for her to control in church. Well she is now my hero! I plan to write her a little note telling her so.

Matt has told me that he is really going to try not to miss church again. He's already told the guy he can't help him on Sundays. I really feel like God is blessing us with the money we need; so it seems weird to miss church to get the money. Anyway hopefully I don't have to go through that again any time soon. I really admire all the sisters who take their children to church by themselves and actually manage to get something out of meeting and stay through all of it!

8 comments:

michelle said...

Sorry to hear about Matt being out of work.We know how that is .It is nice that he is getting these odd jobs ,too bad he missed church.

Yes Dale still has the mohok.Needs to be shaved,dad said it will definatly happen before Easter.

I hope to come over during spring break if Trina has her baby.Come there and to brown town.

Trina said...

IFFFF Trina has her baby??? I BETTER have this baby!!! hahaha

Cherrie said...

I am so glad that Matt is at least working. Sorry to hear about the lay off.

Skylene said...

I don't like taking my children to church by myself either and I only have 3. Sam takes turns staying with his Grandma so that his mom can go to church. So that means that I go to church by myself fairly often. Sometimes he can take one of the kids with him though.

Jules said...

Sorry to hear about the layoff. I know that is hard to deal with. We definately know how it feels and we're sorry.

meNmykids said...

Sorry about the layoff. With you there. Sorry about the kids in church. Anything I can do, you can do too. Only with the Lords help, that is the only way I can.

Tish said...

Sis. Gale,

As I was writing this blog I was thinking of you. I know that you have to deal with even more kids in church by yourself. I really admire you for that. It is nice that we have the Lord to help us through these things. I can't imagine the people who go through like without the Spirit to guide them and the Lord to get them through the hard times; not to mention all the many blessings God gives us.

Barbara Reed said...

I like you admire those sisters who take their children to church without a husband to help. They are all my hero's, my older sister Dawnette's husband doesn't belong or attend our church but she still keeps on trucking and going as much as she can. It's an inspiration to me, who like you can't hardly stay through the entire meeting.