Saturday, March 22, 2008

Traveling Memory

When we were traveling through the mountains yesterday we came upon an accident. It was a good thing there were flares set out or we probably would have hit the car. This car was on its side in our lane. We had to move into the passing lane to miss it. As I said in my last blog our trip took longer, but I'm glad we were far enough behind that were weren't in that accident, or come up on it before flares were set out. After passing the accident I was reminded of a trip I took when I was 12 with my Uncle Gene and Aunt Nadine.

They took me and my sisters with them and their 2 daughters that were our age on a trip through Washington. We went to quite a few different assemblies, and I know there were a lot of things on that trip that helped strengthen my belief in God and my Love for the Brethren; but there is one memory from that trips that really sticks out the most.

It's been a long time ago, but I think we were on our way to Prosser. We were driving on a kind of curvy mountain road when we decided to stop at a viewpoint and look around and read the sign. As we pulled off a van full of people went past us and around the next curve. After looking around for awhile we got back in our van and got back on the road. When we went around the next curve, there was the van that had passed us upside down on the road. Somehow they had lost control and ended up flipping. We stopped to see if they needed help, but they were all OK. As we continued on the road we all marveled at how God had kept us from being in that accident with them because someone would have been hurt for sure then.

The next meeting we sat in was in Spokane. I wasn't in the faith yet, but I know my sisters were and maybe even my cousins I don't remember. I remember thinking all through church about how someone should testify about our near miss, but they never did. I really wanted to tell people about it myself, but I knew I couldn't because I wasn't in the faith yet. I remember that some of my family got up in church, but never mentioned that incident.

After church Uncle Gene said that he thought there was something I wanted to tell everybody. I hadn't even told him how I wanted to tell the brethren about what had happened to us (or what hadn't happened to us). So God had revealed my desire to tell the story to my Uncle Gene and I was able to share with the brethren how God had protected us.

Now the reason I remember this story is not because God protected us on the roads. I know there's been a lot of times that God has protected me on the road and I don't remember it so vividly. What makes it such a wonderful memory for me is that God looked into the heart of a 12 year old and saw what I desired to do and revealed it to someone else. This is one of my many wonderful memories of God's goodness to me.

6 comments:

Mom of 3, Aunt of 16 said...

I remember that trip. We had all looked around, and I thought we'd all read the sign that told about what we were looking at. However someone hadn't so we waited for them. When we got to the accident it looked like we would have went down the side and perished. If I remember right it had happened moments before we got there. I think the tires were still spinning.

Sabriena said...

That is so neat! I love testimonies and stories like that... Of course, I guess that those stories technically are testimonies anyway, aren't they.

I hadn't read anybodies blogs for awhile, so I just got caught up on your posts. I thought the joke about the guy who stole the motorcycle was the funniest! Of course, the blood circulating one...

Cherrie said...

The memories we have our such blessings for us to look back on. I am so glad that you guys were safe and that the Lord revealed your heart.

JoAnn said...

Beautiful Memory Tisha. I remember many years ago when we lived at Vici, Connie was visiting and she and I headed to my house on a very narrow road. It was quite foggy that night and as I came to the crest of a hill I saw headlights right in front of us. Connie & I both shouted "Lord have mercy!" God got us around that car but I can't say how, I know without a doubt that we are kept & protected!

Barbara Reed said...

What a wonderful thing to be able to testify to. I can remember so many things to, and as I think my brother said one time, these things helped to build our foundation and make it as strong as it is now. Sometimes we have to reinforce a wall, but the foundation is sure.

Marisela said...

That is a neat story. Thanks for sharing.