Wednesday, March 5, 2008

God's Protecting Hand

I'm finally posting again!!! Yahhh! Here are my excuses: I got sick, plus I've been having a hard time coming up with something to blog about. There you have it, I know it's pretty lame. Anyway...

The other day I was taking care of some errands around town. I had pulled into a corner gas station to get gas. The place where I pulled out was a light where I wanted to turn left. It just so happened that the way was clear for me to get right into the turning lane; and the light was green so I just kept on going. As I was going out into the intersection I noticed the little sign that said that I was supposed to yield to oncoming traffic if the light was green. Sure enough there was a line of cars coming. Somehow we all just kept going and missed each other. It all happened so fast that I didn't even have time to react at all. I didn't step on the brakes at all. Now that I think of it, if I'd have slowed down I might have hit someone (or them hit me).

Later on I told Matt about the incident and how I felt like through my mistake and bad observance skills, God had protected me and the kids from getting into an accident. Matt told me of a very similar incident that had happened to him a few days ago. I am so thankful for God's protection to us.

I've still been trying to read the Bible sometimes. I don't have some glorious insight about what I've been reading, but it's all good stuff; so I decided to sometimes post my "verse(s) of the day". Technically this is my verses of yesterday since I read them yesterday, and I haven't yet done any Bible reading today; but here it is:

"But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap bountifully.
Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity. For God loveth a cheerful giver.
And God is able to make all grace abound toward you, that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work."

From reading these verses in context, I believe it's talking about donating physical items, but this could be applied to other ways of giving too. Basically God wants me to give from the abundance that he has given to me, to help others who are in need. Whether it be giving things, money (even giving to the church), or just using my health and time to help others, or just saying the right words; or sharing the spiritual blessings that God has given to me; so that I can encourage others. I guess kind of like writing about my near accident the other day. I really believe that the Faith is all about giving. If I'm not cheerfully giving what God wants me to give; then I'm not living the Faith as I should. I know that I need to work on this.

9 comments:

meNmykids said...

Cheerfully. Have you noticed how much the Lord stresses keeping the pleasant feelings in the front? Sometimes I get on the down side and I know that this is not of the Lord in anything.So thankful for your moment of protection and I love that verse.

Mrs.Martin said...

I am so thankful too that the Lord watched over you and your children. The verse is just beautiful.

Cherrie said...

I am so glad that God watches over his children. I think we all have made a mistake like that at least once in our life. I have had many of them. That verse is beautiful, I so believe in giving to those in need.

Jules said...

Wow, that is awesome that God kept you from getting in a wreck. He is an awesome GOD! He's done the same for me so many times. It's times like that that you realize that you are NOT in control and really strengthens your faith! But I'm glad you're back! i know it is hard to think of something to write about sometimes, hopefully you'll keep thinking of things, cause I love reading them! And I'm also glad you're better now :)

Skylene said...

I tried to run someone down the other day.(On accident of course!) Whenever I see a wreck I think what if it was us. I am always praying for our safety in the car. Especially since we are still Cramming 3 car seats into our little car! We have the car paid off and it is still running well so the longer that we keep it the better car (hopefully) we can buy next time. A little crowded in the meantime.

Sabriena said...

That is a wonderful testimony! Before I read your blog, I listened to your "Coat of Many Colors" song. I really enjoyed it. I am going to learn it, now.

It's amazing just how many of the brethren have been protected just from accidents by that Invisible Guiding Hand. That's even more neat, that your husband had a similar occasion for thanks just a few days before.

Well, I could go on all day, but I wanted to check my other friends' blogs, too, so I guess I'll go now.

By the way, I made a post today that you might enjoy, I was trying to memorize the order of the books of the Bible.

Mom of 3, Aunt of 16 said...

It seems that even with getting turned around or taking an extra long pit-stop God is taking care of us. I remember that time in Spokane when it was a new driver. It was dark, the roads where icy, and snowy. Somehow we missed the 1st road we were supposed to go on and took the next one instead. I believe that we would have been right in the middle of an accident if we'd taken the 1st road.

Trina said...

I loved reading this post and I thought your testimony in church was moving too. I know that your family would have been sick if you had been in a horrible accident, but we all would have been very sad too. So I am truly thankful that God protected you. He is a gracious and mericful God.

Barbara Reed said...

I love reading your posts, I love reading the bible verses you post and what you think about them, it actually lifts me up on days I'm down cause sometimes the way you look at it is a different look than I had taken before. I am also thankful that god protected you, and Matt.